Monday, August 27, 2012

Cinemalaya 2012: Diablo



It was a Saturday when my friends and I decided to watch the movie Diablo at Greenbelt. It was an unplanned visit since I was already booked for the next day but since we all want a free Sunday, 11 of us enjoyed the company of each other with the movie.


After our Travel Sales class, we went directly to Makati through a cab. We were early and decided to spend our time eating at the mall.

Movies wouldn’t be completed without the presence of a bag of popcorn. I was in between of two gorgeous girls, Ellane Rivera, and Ani-Ann Balingit.  Together, we shared our laughter, stories, and even annoyance due to the long time waiting for the movie.

Different trailers of various independent films were played before the actual movie was screened. I’ve appreciated the skills and talents of my fellow Filipinos in making the films possible. I’d like to watch more of it. It’s a wrong impression of mine before having viewed the Filipino films as corny and cheap. Those misconceptions had changed after seeing the movie, making me proud of my countrymen.

Despite of the fact that we got bored of the movie, some scenes in the movie Diablo were entertaining and we could actually relate on what’s going on in the story.

We were honestly expecting some scary scenes like a character of a scary creature called Diablo; we were waiting to hear the screams of everyone due to the horror story but we failed. We all thought that the film is a horror genre type, which made us excited.

All we’ve seen is a story revolving in an old woman called Nanang. A woman who lives unaccompanied in a small town visited by a shadow every night.  They were speaking in a Bisaya language since the place was in Nueva Viscaya; thus my classmate, Ani-Ann, understood this.
Nanang should have been the title of the film since it was all about her, her customs in her daily life until the demise of her radio in which she cried most. The content of the movie contrasts to what the title it suggests. It was actually a drama. We were all like, “Where’s the Diablo?” It was actually a puzzle to me, wondering what the dark figure means. Could this be the Diablo they were calling? Or the views, nuisance and fears encountered in the journey of Nanang.

            Overall, I would still rate the movie, 5 out of 5 due to the lessons and values it conveys to the viewers. Furthermore, the techniques they’ve used, the camera and video effects were undeniably great! The actors who played fit the roles in the story. I may not into drama but I like the movie.

2 comments: